Friday, January 11, 2008

If the shoe doesn't fit

I got to thinking about Cinderella this week. How both of her stepsisters tried on the glass slipper with no success. Then, Cinderella tried it on and it fit!

A few weeks ago, I was trying to make something fit, trying valiantly, and it just wouldn't.

In my case, the ill-fit wasn't a shoe, but a scene I was editing for my then novel in progress. I had a powerful scene which just wasn't working.

I fiddled with it, tweaking it, changing the odd word and punctuation mark, and was no happier. I knew the scene was good, and good for the story, yet it wasn't working.

I finally admitted that it wasn't going to. Not at that point in the story.

So I moved it. It works now : - )

Sometimes a problem with a piece of writing is just a matter of an ill-fit. A scene that may not be working may be due to where it takes place in the story, rather than due to a problem with the scene itself.

Regards,
Karen

No comments: