Friday, December 7, 2007

What's on your menu this holiday season?

With the holidays approaching, and concern for our waistlines temporarily suspended, I thought I'd share a delicious recipe a reader kindly sent to me for my favorite dessert - chocolate cake. : - ) I've been told that this cake has been named the "Better Than Sex Cake" . : - ) You'll have to let me know what you think : - )

Teoh, if you're reading this, thanks so much for the recipe.

When I was researching BETRAYAL, I looked into twelfth century recipes. Spices such as salt were liberally used in cooking, often times to conceal the taste when food had spoiled. Saffron, which turns foods yellow, was a pricey spice that hostesses delighted in, despite the cost, for important parties and feasts.

I thought I'd include a link to a Medieval recipe site:
http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/mediaeval/starters.php

I just may include a Medieval dish as part of the Christmas meal this holiday season. : - )

Regards,
Karen


Better Than Sex Cake

INGREDIENTS:
1 German chocolate cake mix
1 can sweetened and condensed milk (I use Eagle brand)
1 jar caramel ice cream topping
1 8 ounce container of Cool Whip
6 ounces crushed Heath bar
6 ounces crushed plain Hershey bar

DIRECTIONS:
Bake cake as directed in 9x13 pan. Take the handle of a wooden spoon and poke holes all over the cake while it's still warm. Pour can of condensed milk over warm cake, then repeat with caramel topping. Refrigerate for 6 hours. Frost cake with Cool Whip topping and sprinkle with crushed Heath & Hershey bar. Serve immediately.



No comments: