Friday, August 24, 2007

THE BEST INTENTION (Originally posted to The Five Star Authors' Blog)

Last week I blogged about "reading for pleasure" and I mentioned that my "to be read" list is very long. Well, as of last night, it got a little longer, okay, the truth is, it got a lot longer. I can't resist a bookstore. For me, a trip to the bookstore is the ultimate shopping experience. People who know me laugh about this. For some women their weakenss is shoes, for me it's books.

Last night after dinner, my husband and I took a walk to get ice cream. I know, getting ice cream sort of defeats the purpose for the walk, but that's a topic for another blog entry. Anyway, on the way to the ice cream parlor, we pass a book store. I told my husband I was just going to stop in for a quick peek at the new arrivals. I hadn't planned on browsing, because well, we were out for a walk, not a trip to the bookstore.

From experience however, my husband has learned that I can never dash into a book store for a "quick peek". But he's a good guy and nodded agreeably when I told him that I would be in and out of the store in five, and then we would resume our walk. Since he's not much of a book shopper and I wasn't going to be long, I suggested that he wait outside and enjoy the evening.

I had the best intention - really - but once I was in the store, I couldn't help myself, and what started out as a quick browse became a full-fledged shopping event. As luck would have it, there was a sale on paperbacks. Buy three and get the fourth free. Now, how could I resist that? Of course, I couldn't and I didn't. Forty-five minutes later I emerged with my purchases. My husband took a look at my two bags of books and just smiled. Oh, well. . .

Regards,
Karen

No comments: