Friday, August 24, 2007

BOOK COVERS (Originally posted to The Five Star Authors' Blog)

I've been out of touch for a while, busy with new releases due out this month, next, and November. While all this pre-publication prep has been going on, one of the things I've been focused on are book covers.

Waiting to for my book covers is always nail-biting time for me. It's a lot to expect for one image to capture the essence of a 90,000 page book. That's the equivalent, I think, to writers condensing our stories into a one-page synopsis. It's not easily done, and not always done well. We've all seen some terrible book covers out there and felt the author's heartbreak.

I received the cover for BETRAYAL a while back, and am thrilled to write that I was, well, thrilled. Five Star invites authors to submit an idea for their covers. I had a vague one, and after I submitted it, I worried that the artist reading my small offering, might be thrown off a great idea of his own. I was worried that I might have contributed to a terrible cover. The artist, however, included a couple of the elements from my idea and then came up with something so much better than I'd imagined. I'm challenged when it comes to uploading files etc, so I couldn't post the cover here. It's on my website, though, if you'd like to take a look. Let me know what you think.


The link to my site is: http://www.karenfenech.com/ The cover is posted on the "BOOKS" page.


I just received the cover for my September short story release, and I'm happy to write that I like that one too. Two covers down, one more to go. . .


Regards,
Karen

No comments: